How to Remove Stains
Accidents are going to happen. Whether you have pets, kids, a muddy yard, spilled paint, or spilled coffee, it is important to know how to address each situation. True Steam is one of Richmond’s leading stain removal experts and we think the following tips can be beneficial to all homeowners.
- Act fast – the longer a spill sits on a carpet the more likely it will become a stain. If the spill is a liquid, a general rule of thumb is to blot (using an old cloth or paper towel) and remove as much of the spill as possible. *It is important not to rub or brush the spill as this may spread or embed the spill deeper into the carpet fibers.
- For paint spills, remove as much of the excess paint from the surface of the carpet (without spreading it). Place a damp cloth over the paint and leave there until you are able to use a ‘steam cleaner’ or have it professionally cleaned. Our powerful equipment will make light work of wet paint and have your carpets looking like new in no time.
- For powder spills such as toner, laundry detergent, flour, or sugar, it is very IMPORTANT that you vacuum as much of it out before getting it wet. If a discoloration remains after vacuuming, you may then go ahead with step 2.
- Use a tested spot-cleaner – Once you have removed as much of the spill as you can, it is now time to spot clean. Starting from the outside of the stain, apply some of your trusted spot-cleaner. Allow the spot cleaner to sit on the spill for 5-10 minutes and begin blotting the area with a white cloth, from the outside toward the center (you should begin to see some of the stain transfer from the carpet to the cloth).
- It may take a few tries to get the spill to go away completely. If you are unable to get it to a satisfactory level, call True Steam and let us use our extensive line of spot treatments and professional knowledge to assess the situation and remove any eyesores.
- Blot the area with a damp towel. This will help rinse the chemical residue out of the fibers. *Carpets with excessive chemical residue can become sticky and appear dirtier over time. This can be easily solved with a thorough rinsing step. For those of you with a portable steam cleaner, now would be a good time to fill it up and steam clean that area.
- Use a dry cloth or paper towel to dry the area as much as possible, giving the spill little chance of returning.
- If you have any more questions about a specific spill or stain, please feel free to give us a call at (804) 298 0287 to speak to one of Richmond’s Trusted Stain Removal Experts.
*You can read our Reviews on Facebook